Sunday, March 4, 2012

How Do I Stop and Enjoy the Pizza?


GOD!  I make myself nuts!  I am the least patient person I know, and that pisses me off.  I have this uncanny ability to ignore what is good in anticipation of the next thing.

I. MUST. STOP. THAT!!

It's like....and I must preface this analogy by saying I don't like it one little bit.  My mother wrapped every life lesson in food...I'm better than that.  Aren’t I?  Why yes, yes I am.  But I'm also not patient enough to figure out a better way of putting it rightthisverysecond.

So it's like….I'm eating pizza for lunch.  It's good pizza.  It's awesome pizza.  I'm talking a nice buttery crust, crispy on the outside but soft on the inside.  Minimal sauce.  Tons of cheese.  Dripping just the right amount of grease.  Pizza Nirvana. But all I can think about is what I'll make for dinner.

How do I stop and enjoy the pizza?

So I'm working on that.  And honestly it takes real, conscious, often difficult effort to just stop in the moment and go "Ahhhhh...wow, this is really nice".  That may not SOUND like work...but to me, it is no easier than shoveling the driveway.  Yes FAR FAR FAR more enjoyable, but no easier.

So today I have the whole house to myself until The Boy comes home this evening.  I have nowhere to go and all day to get there.  I need to work out, I have a phone meeting at 2 with one of my favorite Beachbody people so it’s not really work.   I should probably get started on my taxes but hey, it’s barely March so if I don’t, it’s no biggie.  Beyond that, my time is my own. 

Ahhhhh…..wow this is really nice.

Today’s lunch….Chicken Pesto Pizza.  This is so simple that I can hardly call this a 'recipe', but since Pinterest has been quite kind in contributing to my traffic (up from 10 a day to about 20....you think I'm kidding?  Sadly, no) I'm going to start posting step by step pics of my oh-so-simple culinary experiments.


So I started with these awesome things:


Actual honest to goodness pizza crust would obviously work, but I really like Flat Out.  It gets crispy and yummy and is good for you too.


To that I added pesto.  Store bought.  If you prefer to make your own, God bless you and you are a better woman than I.  And to be clear, I really like pesto, and I don't have a significant other to complain about my breath.  So make yours look like this at your own risk!




The chicken I used was from some leftover (previously frozen) fried chicken.  I'd like to say that I threw the skin and breading away and that I did not eat it like an appetizer....yes I'd like to say that indeed, but I will not.


At this point you can add your choice of veggies...I like tomatoes and bell pepper.




And then, of course, lots of mozzarella cheese.




I popped it in the oven at 350 for about 10 minutes, then set on low broil just long enough to finish melting the cheese without over-toasting the 'crust'.


And here's what you get:






No comments:

Post a Comment