Thursday, March 10, 2011

Lord willin' and the gym don't explode.

Over the past few days, my life, or maybe my lack of basic organizational skills, has kept me from working out.

Let's see....Saturday I planned to start the Urban Iron class at the gym, which started at 10:05.  This was the first time I had been to my new gym on a Saturday morning and I had to park not in the gym parking lot, not in the lot for the grocery store next to the gym, but in the vacant lot NEXT TO the grocery store next to the gym.

I was too late to attend the class.  I did work out.  I had a good, long workout.  But it wasn't the class I wanted to attend.

Sunday by the time we got home from The Girl's bowling tournament it was too late to work out.  I was actually kind of bummed.

Monday I forgot my gym clothes. 
Tuesday I took a half vacation day to deal with some family stuff near home.  My plan was that once I was done I would go home to change clothes and then head back to the gym, which is by work.

Well I found out at 1:20 that my 1:30 appointment had been rescheduled two weeks out.  I was not a happy camper to say the least.  I broke land speed records getting back to work so as not to waste the half vacation day, which I will need to cover the rescheduled appointment.  And, of course, I did not have my gym clothes with me.

Yes, I realize I need to start keeping gym clothes in the car at all times.  Get off my back.

Wednesday I had my clothes. I had to go to traffic court and didn't get out until 5:40.  There wasn't nearly enough time to work out and pick my son up at 7 as I usually do.  Of course after I picked him up he told me he wished he could have stayed longer because he was watching Tosh.0 with his uncle.  Thanks for the heads up on that BUD!!

So today...I hate to say I'm going no matter what, because that's a sure bet that the gym will be hit by lightning or a tornado or something...but I'm going to do my best.  This would be one of those situations where my oh-so-southern ex mother in law would say "Lord willin' and the creek don't rise"...which is a bit funny because creeks are rising all around me.  Record snows, followed by rapid thaw and thunderstorms (THUNDER in March in Ohio!!!), followed by more snow, more rain, and as I type this it is pouring rain and we are under a winter storm warning.  This has resulted in major flooding in the area.  A bit over a week ago they were rescuing people from their homes in boats about two miles from my house. 

So, I guess, lord willin' and the gym don't explode, right?

Monday's weigh-in was dissapointing.  I GAINED 0.2 lbs.  It was all water, as I was down 2 on Tuesday, but still dissapointing and embarrassing.  I'm supposed to be the team captain for crying out loud.

My inability to get to the gym four days in a row has left me feeling like a fat, lazy slug.  I did bowl Sunday, and I walked on the treadmill last night, and I've been under my calorie limit every day....but I still feel fat and lazy and sluglike.  I'm hoping an hour of sweating will rid me of that feeling.

Again, who AM I????

I never work out on Friday.  Friday is my day of rest.  Well my evening of rest anyway.  I rarely cook and I don't work out.  But Saturday I'm going to try really, really hard to get to the gym at least 15 minutes before the class starts in order to get a spot.

I did peek in the door at the class, hoping to see an opening I could slide quietly and invisibly into.  Of course there were none.  But I saw that there are steps (like the old 'step arobics' steps), barbells and freeweights.  It looks challenging.  I hope I can get a spot in the back so nobody seese me fall on my head.

The idea of taking this class scares the bejezus out of me.  Joining groups is hard for me due to just a basic assumption that I will be ridiculed first and rejected later.  Add in the fact that this is a group that is all about doing something that I have failed at over and over and over again AND everyone in there knows what they're doing except me. 

If anxiety could burn calories I'd be golden right now.

It'll be good for me....physically and, hopefully emotionally.  It could make or break my confidence I guess, depending on how I do.

No pressure, right?

BUT....I tried on some previously too-small pants and they fit....well they SORTA fit.  They stay up, which I can't say about the ones I was wearing, but I have a muffintop that the Pillsbury dough boy would be proud of.

Today's lunch:  Wolfgang Puck's Organic Old Fashioned Tomato soup.  I've been dissapointed in the past with organic soup, but this was really good!

2 comments:

  1. This is such an exciting post, and not just because of the rising creeks (though that is pretty darn exciting, in a negative way of course) but because of YOUR excitement about exercising! I have only ever taken one class and it was spinning - I don't trust my feet enough to take any other sort of class, I'm just not very coordinated. But! I've found that the lack of coordination and not knowing what you're doing (for me, not knowing what Im' doing when I'm following along with a workout DVD in the privacy of my own home) is actually good. Because I swear you burn more calories tripping over yourself than you do when you move fluidly. So between falling down and getting worked up about the class, you're torching the calories!

    And I have enjoyed every wolfgang puck soup I've tried. I have no objection to organic soups though... I do however DESPISE low sodium soups. Might was well add some vegetables to water and call it soup if that's how it's going to taste, you know? Bleck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda has taken the class and she assures me that there is no dancing or jumping about of any kind, which is the ONLY reason I'm willing to give it a try.

    Zumba is so popular now. I can't even imagine having the nerve to try it.

    I've bought low sodium soup before. I just end up dumping salt in it.

    ReplyDelete